Welcome to this months Post-Diagnostic Support Group video presentation (currently replacing our regular PDSG meetings). This presentation from Axia ASD is introduced by Kieran, one of our new team members, followed by Renwick Bromiley discussing his insights into autism in relation to mental health environments. Finally Calvin and Ren discuss their thoughts on games, consoles and what to buy.
Since Renick created his slideshow, the National Autistic Society have revamped their website, so here is the new link to their “Health Passport”.
References mentioned in the video can be found at the end of this post.
“Autistic adults in acute mental healthcare environments:
What quality improvements
can be made?
Insights from the literature”
Axia Post-Diagnostic Support Group
- Brugha, T., Cooper, S. A., McManus, S., Purdon, S., Smith, J., Scott, F. J., Spiers, N., Tyrer, F. (2012). Estimating the prevalence of autism spectrum conditions in adults: Extending the 2007 adult psychiatric morbidity survey. London: NHS, The Health and Social Care Information Centre.
- Maenner, M., Shaw. K., Baio, J., Washington, A., Patrick, M., DiRienzo, M., Christensen, D., Wiggins, L., Pettygrove, S., Andrews, J., Lopez, M., Hudson, A., Baroud, T., Schwenk, Y., White, T., Rosenberg, C., Lee, L-C., Harrington, R., Huston, M., Hewitt, A., Esler, A., Hall-Lande, J., Poynter, J., Hallas-Muchow, L., Constantino, J., Fitzgerald, R., Zahorodny, W., Shenouda, J., Daniels, J., Warren, Z., Vehorn, A., Salinas, A., Durkin, M., Dietz, P. (2020). Prevalence of autism spectrum disorder among children aged 8 years. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 69(4), 1-12.
- Joshi, G., Wozniak, J., Petty, C., Martelon, M. K., Fried, R., Bolfek, A., Biederman, J. (2013). Psychiatric comorbidity and functioning in a clinically referred population of adults with autism spectrum disorders: A comparative study. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 43, 1314-1325.
- McManus, S., Bebbington, P., Jenkins, R., Brugha, T. (2016). Mental health and wellbeing in England: Adult Psychiatric Morbidity Survey 2014. Leeds: NHS Digital.
- Spreat, S., Griffith, R. (2013). Is There a hidden population of adults with autism spectrum disorder? Autism Open Access, 3(3).
- Zandt, F., Prior, M., Kyrios, M. (2006). Repetitive behaviour in children with high functioning autism and obsessive compulsive disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 37, 251-259.
- Muehlmann, A., Lewis, M. (2012). Abnormal repetitive behaviours: shared phenomenology and pathophysiology. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 56(5), 427-440.
- Chandrasekhar, T., Sikich, L. (2015). Challenges in the diagnosis and treatment of depression in autism spectrum disorders across the lifespan. Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience 17, 219–227.
- Dudas, R., Lovejoy, C., Cassidy, S., Allison, C., Smith, P., Baron-Cohen, S. (2018). The overlap between autistic spectrum conditions and borderline personality disorder. PLOS ONE, 13(1).
- Mackenzie-Davies, N., Mansell, J. (2007). Assessment and treatment units for people with intellectual disabilities and challenging behaviour in England: an exploratory survey. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 51(10), 802-811.
- Bogenschutz, M., Nord, D., Hewitt, A. (2015). Competency-based training and worker turnover in community supports for people with IDD: Results from a group randomized control study. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 53(3), 182-185.
- Kazemi, E., Shapiro, M., Kavner, A. (2015). Predictors of intention to turnover in behavior technicians working with individuals with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 17, 106-115.
References – Literature review
- McClean, B., Grey, I. (2012). An evaluation of an intervention sequence outline in positive behaviour support for people with autism and severe escape-motivated challenging behaviour. Journal of Intellectual & Developmental Disability, 37(3), 209-220.
- Bennett, C. (2013). Understanding systemic problems in providing mental health services to people with an intellectual disability and co-morbid mental disorders in Victoria. Australasian Psychiatry, 22(1).
- Dillenburger, K., McKerr, L., Jordan, J-A., Keenan, M. (2016). Staff training in autism: The one-eyed wo/man. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13(7).
- Buckley, C. (2017). Autism in adults. InnovAiT: Education for Inspiration for General Practice, 10(6).
- Burke, S., Wagner, E., Marolda, H., Quintana, J., Maddux, M. (2017). Gap analysis of service needs for adults with neurodevelopmental disorders. Journal of Intellectual Disabilities, 23(1).
- Gerle, E., Fischer, A., Lundh, L-G. (2018). “Voluntarily admitted against my will”: Patient perspectives on effects of, and alternatives to, coercion in psychiatric care for self-injury. Journal of Patient Experience, 6(4).
- Maloret, P., Scott, T. (2018). Don’t ask me what’s the matter, ask me what matters: Acute mental health facility experiences of people living with autism spectrum conditions. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 25(1), 49-59.
Share This Post: